Mold

Hidden inside your walls and under your floor could be a toxin that is making you sick.

Here in the lowcountry, the high humidity creates the ideal environment for the growth of mold. Wherever there is moisture is a good place for mold to grow. A faulty air conditioning system or a leaky pipe can give spores enough moisture to thrive.

Outdoors, mold plays an important part in the ecosystem. Indoors, however, these tiny particles can cause numerous problems. Spores can get inside with a gust of wind, on pets and on clothes. Heating and cooling systems blow the spores around until they land on a surface where they can live off of oxygen, moisture and a food source. In very little time, an infestation can be underway.

Health Effects

Some of the most common symptoms that mold exposure can cause are: runny nose, sneezing, eye irritation and skin rash. Even without allergy sensitivities, someone can have a reaction to mold exposure.

People with asthma or other respiratory diseases may experience increased difficulty in breathing. Those with compromised immune systems are particularly susceptible to infections caused by mold.

Useful Links

Hidden Mold

Mold itself is microscopic and you will not see growth until a large colony has formed. Many times mold grows in dark places that are hidden in your home such as behind furniture, under floorboards, behind drywall and in ductwork. Your first clue that you have mold growing is a musty smell.

If you suspect a mold problem Contact us to get your building tested. Do not disturb a potential site of mold infestation as doing so can release spores into the air and affect other areas.

Treating Mold Infestations

All mold infestations greater than 10 square feet should be treated by a professional. A smaller area may be treated by an individual provided they wear gloves, mask and goggles.

Steps in treating a mold affected area:

  • Fix leaks and other water problems immediately and allow area to dry completely.
  • Using detergent and water, scrub mold off the surface and allow to dry. Do not paint over the mold.
  • Replace materials such as carpet, insulation and drywall. These materials are porous and are likely to retain spores and regrowth may occur.

Reducing Moisture

The key to reducing the chance that mold can grow is preventing condensation buildup.  Wet rooms such as kitchens and bathrooms need adequate ventilation by opening windows or using exhaust fans.

More tips to reduce moisture indoors:

  • Repair leaks right away.
  • Keep drain lines free and clear of debris.
  • Do not allow water to pool around your foundation.
  • Leave space between furniture and walls.